[CQ-Contest] Good contact, back to you

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at pclink.com
Sat Feb 23 10:58:05 EST 2008

QSL, okay guys... BUT... the article starts out "You're new to HF, you have
a transceiver, and you have an antenna up. Now what?"

Man, you guys are brutal! After looking at the suggested exchanges the 5th
time, the only thing I would change is the proper phonetic for the letter K.
It's kilo, not kilowatt. Someone pointed that out in their example. My call
is a K and when I first got it, I made the same mistake!

A few months ago I invited a new General over to my shack. I told him to
bring his radio along and we'd hook it up to my antennas. He had not
transmitted since getting his license a month previous. Maybe you never
experienced or saw someone with "mic fright", but this was a classic case.
Sweat, shaking, he whispered into the mic when I told him to "answer that
Italian that's calling CQ". This was a run-of-the-mill QSO, not even in a
contest!

This entire QST article is written for the newbie. He/she isn't going to
start running a contest in machine-gun precision like all you seasoned pros.
So what if he's a little verbose? If he called me, I would work him, whether
it was a valid contest QSO or not. And if  he gave me a low serial number I
might congratulate him for giving the contest a try. I would hope to work
him in another contest.

Jim, sorry, contesting isn't "life or death" for the newbie. But I do
understand it IS life or death for the Top Ten pro who is trying to win
first place or a seat at WRTC. I guess that's why pleasure aircraft are not
"welcomed with open arms" in the major airports. Unfortunately the airwaves
don't separate the beginners from the top guns.

If you read the entire article, it gives very good examples for the fellow
just starting out. These are all mundane concepts to us. But then, with the
low sun spots, we all seem to nit pick any topic that comes up lately!

/soapbox

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN