[CQ-Contest] Contest-Pedition FRAGILE Luggage Labels

Eric Hilding b38 at hilding.com
Wed Jan 9 21:00:29 EST 2008

I had multiple incidents of luggage damage during my last two trips to
Alaska, including equipment transit-related damage after my KL8C ARRL SS
stint.  Although I affixed multiple Alaska Airlines FRAGILE stickers on all
checked stuff (including the well-padded Pelican case), the size and subdued
colors of the labels, especially for larger items, were just too wimpy.   It
did NOT help that the sub-contracted baggage handlers for Alaska Airlines
were animals (I observed this first hand watching my plane being loaded).

So to at least try and minimize future problems, I made up my own more
bold-ish FRAGILE labels to use in two sizes.  They can be easily printed
onto the Avery Smudge & Jam Free White Full Sheet Label stock (Avery #
8165).  A few snips with a scissors yields the custom labels for use.  If
they get thrashed after one travel use, just replace 'em.  Maybe carry
extras on the trip.  I might also experiment with some kind of plastic spray
coating.

http://www.k6vva.com/fragileluggagelabels.pdf

I hope these FRAGILE labels might help some fellow Contester (hopefully)
eliminate some transit damage problems on their next Contest-Pedition.

73.

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust