[CQ-Contest] FW: Getscores.org Changes/Improvements.

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sat Jan 19 07:26:36 EST 2008

you would never connect to read the scores, or never send them?  How about
if contest sponsors required you to send scores with your claimed entry
class (ala nn3w's requirement to register your intended class).

> I personally believe that ONE of the factors that impacted my second
> place finish in 2005 of ARRL DX CW was missing a 10M E opening to EU
> which WOULD NOT have been predicted in the prop sites and which would
> have immediately caused me to move had I known about it.

ah, so you didn't have a plan to effectively monitor 10m, so you are not one
of those who is really playing to win.  The prop sites I mentioned WOULD
have had the 10m opening info because they draw real time data from beacons
and packet spots and present the actual propagation, not a theoretical
prediction.  And yet it was stated that using those would not make you
assisted.  And as I have pointed out, seeing qso's mounting up in the real
time score board doesn't tell you much about propagation, just that there is
some kind of activity on a band.  You can see that much from a spare radio
with a band scope, which in fact tells you more since it is telling you what
is being heard in your area, not wherever the other guy is.

> Even the top level score would have been enough to flag me at the time
> since all the 10M mults would have impacted the score to know that
> "something was up" and at 15Z, there aren't too many places to look.

So would a 2nd radio, or those other prop sites.

> I don't have an issue with those that do.  It's a personal decision for
> me.  Just, don't break out the champagne if you think you've won SOAB LP
> in a major after 0000Z on Getscores.  I usually play to win.  Don't
> always win, but you can't count me out.

but if it is an advantage to use it then you will find that others will be
moving up on you.. because the data will be there, even if you don't
contribute to it, someone else will.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net