[CQ-Contest] Getscores.org Changes/Improvements...

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:49:11 EST 2008

W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
 > I would be willing to bet a plaque that getscores will never change the
 > outcome of any contest even if everyone was required to use it.

OK...try this non-hypothetical situation....

Operators N2XXX/5 and K5YYY are both SOAB, full-bore operators, who typically
operate 42-47 hours in a typical CQWW. Operator N2XXX/5 is posting his score to
getscores. Operator K5YYY is not, but is viewing the getscores web site. It's
late Saturday night. Neither operator has taken any time off, yet. At this
point, their scores are very close - within 5 % of each other. N2XXX/5 decides
this is a good time to catch a few hours of sleep. Operator K5YYY is also
considering getting some sleep. K5YYY notices that N2XXX/5 suddenly has a rate
of 0, indicating he is sleeping. K5YYY really wants to beat N2XXX/5. Seeing how
close the scores are, K5YYY decides to forgo any sleep. K5YYY wins --- because
of getscores.

73,
Steve, N2IC