[CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Mon Jul 28 17:14:56 EDT 2008

> However, putting aside the desirability of allowing contest sponsors
> to upload submitted logs to LotW, my logs (and those of any other
> station) are my personal "property" (or those of the station).  I see
> nothing that gives an contest sponsor the right to release my logs
> for ANY purpose without my specific permission.  To compel that
> permission as a condition of entry is absolutely wrong.  Such conditions
> are the equivalent of an employer demanding access to the employee's
> personal bank accounts as a condition of employment and are
> unconscionable.

The I guess you won't be submitting logs to cqww... at least if the rules
stay like 2007's:
4. We want your electronic log. The
Committee requires an electronic log for
any possible high-scoring log. By submitting
a log to the CQ WW Contest, the
entrant agrees to have the log open to the
public. If possible, we would appreciate
complete frequencies in the log.

Or ANY ARRL contest that uses general rule 2.4:
2.4. All entries become the property of the ARRL.

If I remember right when station logs were required in the states they had
to be open for FCC inspection at any time, no court order required, doesn't
sound like they considered them 'your property'.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net