[CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Mon Jul 28 22:18:04 EDT 2008

No, Pete specifically said both participants had to have LoTW certificates.

And the answer to your question, "is it any more valid that a log submitted
by F2xxx to LoTW confirms a QSO with me than a log submitted by F2xxx for an
ARRL (or CQ) contest that got forwarded to LoTW after log checking?"
is...Yes. LoTW has strict authentication requirements designed to ensure
that each log record submitted comes from the holder of the license for the
submitting call. Contest sponsors do not.

The scenario you describe, where one station is an LoTW member and the other
isn't, provides no verification of the identity of the station that's not an
LoTW member. Anyone can submit a contest log labelled "F2xxx". ARRL and CQ
have absolutely no idea whether those logs came from the actual F2xxx or an
imposter. If someone wanted to game or discredit the DXCC system, they could
submit a contest log under a bogus call. The log would then be forwarded to
LoTW. If LoTW were to accept such a log without proper authentication, then
the system could be fooled into granting DXCC credits that were not earned.
Once that happens, confidence in the system is lost.

Bottom line, LoTW won't accept QSO records from an unauthenticated source.

73, Dick WC1M