[CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Wed Jul 30 10:30:43 EDT 2008

> What would you say to convince someone else that your
> perspective on this is valid? (Aside from you having a right
> to an opinion - of course).
>
> Or more simply - why?

The proper question is why any contest sponsor should unilaterally
take the unprecedented step of releasing all contest logs to public
mischief?

> Making logs public is a great tool in deterring the
> "padding", uncovering goofs of checking process and
> educational for little pistols to see how masters are doing
> and get better - mo' points for everybody.

None of that justifies making logs public.  It is up to the contest
sponsor to fairly and accurately adjudicate the contest.  Publication
of logs does nothing to make adjudication more fair.  It only opens
the process to second guessing and controversy.

As far as allowing little pistols to see how the masters do it ...
it is not the place of the contest sponsor to reveal strategies and
techniques.  Those strategies and techniques have been developed
through trial and error.  If a station wants to write an article
in NCJ or teach a course an Contest University, that's their right
but if they don't want to tell anyone about a particular opening
in the middle of the night on a "dead" band or that certain mults
are only available in specific narrow out of the way band segments
that should be their right.

Logs have traditionally been the private property of the operator.
and have been provided to the contest sponsor because the logs
are necessary to properly adjudicate the results of the contest
in the same way as tax return data is provided to the IRS to verify
"voluntary compliance" with tax laws.  For the contest sponsor to
release any individually identifiable information - including
complete logs, UBN reports, etc. is beyond anything necessary to
adjudicate or report the contest results.

The only effect of releasing individual logs is to expose those
logs to intrusive examination by those not involved with the
adjudication process.  Release of log data is the same as the
"supermarket tabloids" in printing pictures of <your favorite
public figure here> engaged in their private life.