[CQ-Contest] What Skimmer is!

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x at kr6x.com
Tue Jun 3 20:37:31 EDT 2008

Richard, nothing against your thought processes expressed below, but skimmer
is just a receiver.  Look back on skimmer a decade or two from now and
you'll have to admit it's a crude receiver at that by 2020 standards.
Because the technology is available, skimmer is the direction that receivers
are moving.  You didn't think that the rig manufacturers were going to stay
out of this market, did you?

W4KFC's 1964 CQSS machine was a robot.  CT, NA, Writelog, TR, etc., now
those are robots.  Those are immense breakthroughs that changed the way we
contest.  It's just because the pool of ham radio operators is aging and
fixed in their ways, so they are fearful of new things, that so many see
skimmer as a big deal.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

KR6X