[CQ-Contest] What Skimmer is!

Sandy Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Wed Jun 4 09:03:01 EDT 2008

Don't know about W4KFC's robot, however: CT, NA, Writelog, TR, N1MM, etc. do
not do the receiving for you. You still have to turn that large dial, find
stations, decode their callsigns and work them yourself.

They are not assistance. Yes, they make the administrivia easier, but they
don't populate your bandmap with calls and QRGs.

And why is it some people consider a desire to categorize Skimmer like
Packet tantamount to a ban? Did packet/cluster go away when the "assisted"
category was created? Did amplifier manufacturers shrivel up and die because
we separated the QRP and 100-watt ops from the kilowatts? Did KC1XX fold his
tower business when the tribander/wires category was created?

If someone develops the skill to decode a 70 khz swath simultaneously by
themselves, I could accept the thought that Skimmer is "just" a receiver.

73, Kelly
Ve4xt