[CQ-Contest] Proposal For Single Op and Single Op Assisted

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jun 4 06:46:14 EDT 2008

Just a couple of comments:

1.  The RTTY exception needs to be revised to exclude SDRs with very wide
bandwidths, because the additions to Skimmer required to make it work with
RTTY are minimal, only awaiting a programmer with the interest.  I would
suggest substituting a specific quantitative standard that all current
tunable radios meet, such as "... within a 3-KHz bandwidth..."

2.  Why not respect the technological interest of the potential Skimmer
user and call the second single-op class "Single Op Unlimited"?  That gets
away from the pejorative connotations of "Assisted".

Perhaps the most important thing of all - we need to stop pretending that
rules can be written that anticipate technology that will arrive 5 or 10 or
20 years from now.  Rules written 10 or more years ago can't be so
prescient that their meaning can be exquisitely parsed to apply to a new
development like Skimmer.  That's as absurd as the ARRL SS rules, which
still use the term "transmitter."

Let's acknowledge that the rate of technological change is accelerating,
and that our rules need to be written with the understanding that they will
change too.

73, Pete N4ZR