[CQ-Contest] SO vs. SOA definition re Skimmer

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 11:35:33 EDT 2008

Interesting question. If a new technology comes along that effectively reduces the value of packet networks is that necesarily a bad thing?? I don't know, just throwing the question out there..

I think the goal should be to clearly define the loaction for where the station actually begins and where it ends is in regard to defining where the information about what signals that there are to work is alowed to come from. Trying to selectively draw lines between different pieces of technology that are within the station itself are fraught with peril, and will ultimately be an exercise in futility. I really don’t see a problem with a SO being allowed to use whatever technology that they can muster within their station to compete. Where I do draw a line is when the information about stations to work comes in via means that is not via the antenna and equipment used on the band(s) of the competition itself, and is not also being extracted *directly* by using the station’s own equipment.

To me one of the key goals of radio contesting should be to encourage participants to build highly capable stations to better ‘work over’ and extract all that they can from the RF spectrum of the particular competition. It should *not* encourage the building of station to station data exchange networks, or to use frequencies or other communications methods that are outside of the frequencies of the competition (i.e. packet, Internet spotting networks).

BTW in the VHF world there is/was a near parallel to this whole spotting issue in regards to allowing rovers to use APRS to announce their locations. Something that which I totally appose, just for the record.

Duane
N9DG