[CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

Robert Naumann w5ov at w5ov.com
Fri Jun 6 07:49:02 EDT 2008

Yuri,

You said: "Assisted - was meant to mean another OPERATOR - person, not
assistance by computer, keyer, software, foot switch. (B fortifies that) "

B is defining Single Op Assisted. It is not defining single op or what type
of assistance is forbidden for single ops.

A, defining single op (unassisted), says:

"The use of DX alerting assistance of any kind places the station in the
Single Operator Assisted category."

It says "of any kind". It does not say "such as defined in B" or "such as
defined elsewhere".

"Of any kind" encompasses *any kind* of spotting. There is no limit to what
is excluded.

A single op cannot use any kind of spotting and remain as a single op. Isn't
this obvious that the purpose is for the single operator to do everything on
his own for himself?

The rule says: "Those stations at which one person performs all of the
operating, logging, and spotting functions".

If a skimmer device is now performing spotting functions for the operator,
then he is not performing all spotting functions - is he?

The rule specifically and clearly eliminates the possibility of the use of
*any kind* of spotting regardless of where it is, what delivers it, how it
is produced - organic or silicon-based.

Also, regarding "DX" being used in the definition, the contest in question
is a DX contest so this is appropriate, and spotting of non-DX is
meaningless.

Skimmer and its ilk are appropriate and marvelous tools for assisted
stations and multi-ops to use. It has no place in an unassisted single op
station.

73,

Bob W5OV