[CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Jun 14 10:34:22 EDT 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 2:34 PM, Tom Rauch wrote:

> I think what computer programmers need to do is have a
> "signal lost" indicator on the screen. RTTY is not like
> normal modes (sorry, the Devil made me say that) in that the
> operator often cannot hear the signal drop.

Old message, but an important point.

I always operate RTTY with headphones on, with the volume set low (to
save my hearing).

It's amazing the number of cues you can get from listening to the
signal that isn't apparent from the text, crossed-banana or waterfall
display. When you call CQ, sometimes there's a weak signal that
answers that didn't print right. A quick QRZ? is more appropriate than
a long CQ at that point. When you are S & P, it is easy to pick out
the RTTY signals from all the others by ear, although tuning in
precisely generally requires the visual display.

Was that print garbaged because of QSB, QRM, QRN or something else?
Did 3 guys answer my CQ, or was it just one? Listening to the signal
can tell you those things.

So, for me, RTTY is just like one of those "normal" modes.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901