[CQ-Contest] More kilo versus kilowatt

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 5 00:57:26 EST 2008

I pulled out my old Nel-tech voice keyer to work with my even older Icom in
my small 10 meter ARRL SSB effort and noticed that when I pushed the kilo 4
button I was asked for my prefix every time.  I pushed the kilowatt 4 button
and never was asked for a single prefix repeat. I called several with just a
simple k4jrb (no phonetics) and that worked great too.

Seems recording into the Nel-Tech cuts off part of the first word.  Sending
the kilowatt seemed to get the idea across.  Some of the Yaesu big rigs have
a problem on CW with keying that truncates the first character but I never
heard of this problem on voice.

Is this a problem with .wav files and other voice keyers?

Dave K4JRB