[CQ-Contest] First days' experience with "reverse beacon"

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Mar 5 06:54:17 EST 2008

Thanks to everyone who logged in and sent comments.  So far the maximum

Until about 1900Z yesterday, I mistakenly had the Skimmer on my 160M shunt
fed tower instead of the tribanders.  Signals should be a good deal louder
today.

A couple of notes:  It is a characteristic of this type of super-simple
receiver that strong signals below the local oscillator frequency (14043.6,
for those who care) will generate images above that frequency, and vice
versa.  As I run it more and more, Skimmer is gradually correcting for
this, but really strong signals will still occasionally be spotted
alternately at frequencies both low and high in the band.

Skimmer also tries its dogged best to decode callsigns out of RTTY signals,
and sometimes "succeeds", so ignore those weird spots above 14070.

There is a small bug of some sort in the Telnet routine that occasionally
crashes the program, so if you are suddenly disconnected that's probably
why.  Alex is working on it.

73, Pete N4ZR