[CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card - SO2R

BobK8IA at aol.com BobK8IA at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 07:48:38 EDT 2008

Hi Dave;

Good to see you on the reflector again. I nope all is well with you  and the
MI gang!

SO2R, as a technique, pre-dates your assessment by at least two  decades. My
first contest was in 1957 and W2IOP/W9IOP and W4KFC were employing  the
technique (in SS CW at least) way back then. So, I have to think that they  were
using it even before that time too. I am sure some of the real oldtimers in
PVRC/FRC recall much more than I do. There were probably a bunch of other SO2R
guys as well, just not as proficient.

Larry and Vic were the Top SS dogs back then. I still recall that  pic of
Larry sitting in front of two 75A4 receiver/KWS-1 kw xmtr combos. Top of  the
line gear back then. Very impressive, and they were both top  ops.

You are right re "complaints". No one complained. Like you said, it  was an
operating technique designed to maximize contest performance. Nothing has
changed, in that regard, but the ridiculous complainers that now leech out  of the
woodwork. ;-)

Take care.

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona USA

In a message dated 3/13/2008 3:32:16 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,