[CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology

Hal Offutt hal at japancorporateresearch.com
Thu Mar 13 09:59:13 EDT 2008

N7ZG wrote:

> On Remoting - If the transmitter, receiver and antennas are
> within the designated station circle then why should anyone
> care where the operator is located.   Managing communication
> latencies is a technical challenge.  Does it advance the
> radio art?   Maybe.   It might likely break down some of the
> economic barriers to building large stations.   This would be
> a good thing that advances contesting and dxing.   Does it
> negatively impact the value of operator skill?   I think not.

W4TV replied:

Because the operator is as much a part of the station as are
the transmitters, receivers, antennas and computers.  Part of
building a station in an advantaged location is being there
to operate it - not operating from somewhere else.  If one is
going to have a station in KL7 during ARRL DX, one should be
in KL7 during ARRL DX <G>.  If one is going to have a station
in North Dakota during RTTY Roundup, one should be in North
Dakota during RTTY Roundup.

W1NN comments:

If the RF is coming from North Dakota, how can you say that contacts with
such a station are not from North Dakota?  Why does it matter where the
operator is?

If I make contacts in SS by remotely operating a station in ND while I am
physically in Ohio, there are only two conceivable possibilities for my QTH:
either ND or OH.  Would it make any sense at all for me to give my section
as OH?

I don't see what "advantaged location" has to do with the issue of remote
operating.  Is there a difference if I remotely operate (from Ohio) a
station in PA compared with one in ND?

73,

Hal W1NN