[CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Fri Mar 21 10:21:21 EDT 2008

Let's see if I have this right.....  Many people are making the assumption that
Skimmer is just another tool for the Single Operator UNASSISTED Category
entrant?

I have hope there are enough who can see beyond today who believe this
is a tool for the Single Operator ASSISTED category.  To say there is a
difference between an packet connection feeding information that was
generated by another operator OR another operator's Skimmer setup
and "owning your own" wide-band receiver which feeds the same
information to your software is really splitting hairs.

In my opinion, If you are unassisted, you do not have any THING or any ONE
telling you the callsign and frequency of a station that you can work to
improve your score.

The ultimate set up, if it is allowed, is write software to have your rig QSY
to the most appropriate spot (based on where your yagi is pointed, which
spot will most likely improve your score the most and have the rig make the
contact and log it for you and then go to the next one.
Same set up on the run frequency.  The more rigs you have the better your score will be.  I can see it now "Oh, cool!.  I worked VU2PTT the first night on 20M and the computer moved him to 40M where I also worked him.  Never heard him, but saw him in the log.

It makes me want to go find my golf clubs instead of thinking about radio
24/7.

Stan, K5GO