[CQ-Contest] Skimmer ultimate setup? [Correction]

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Mar 22 07:04:05 EDT 2008

Due to a misunderstanding on my part, my response to Dave, K6LL mis-stated
the capabilities of Skimmer in the SoftRock-IF mode (where the band
monitoring is accomplished by tapping the RX IF).  VE3NEA made the design
decision to limit Skimmer in this mode to a 24-KHz bandwidth.  I don't
understand the rationale, so I'll leave it to Alex to explain if he wishes.

I feel that, for contesters, the full benefit from Skimmer can only be
achieved with bandwidths that capture most, if not all, of the band in
use.  In order to achieve this, I intend to pursue the frequency-agile
SoftRock approach, using it to receive the actual frequencies in parallel
with my second radio's RX.  Based on my single-band experience, this should
work very well.

73, Pete N4ZR