[CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Sun Mar 23 12:37:58 EDT 2008

Stan,

CW Skimmer is not "automation" but then you don't seem to
care about facts, only your inflammatory opinions.

> Speaking of automation, my viewpoint comes
> from someone who has spent forty years working CW.
> After a few minutes of puzzled research it appears
> your viewpoint comes from someone who sells
> equipment and software to automate the process.

I have been contesting for thirty years so don’t give me
any "holier than thou" bull.  Go look up AD8I in the late
70's and 80's. Among the results was a #1 finish in the 1982
ARRL 16) contest as a single operator from Ohio (oh yea, that
was CW).  For several years I have not been willing to do the
30.36 or 48 hour grind barefoot with an R5 while juggling a
family and career.  I still stay involved and occasionally
submit a log for a few contacts (ARRL 10 Meter contest in
2004 happened to be a weekend I did not have any professional
or family conflicts - see K4IK in Low Power Mixed).

If you are going to take the attitude that it's your way or
the highway, that will kill CW contesting faster than ANY
technology.  RTTY will surely replace CW for contesting in
five years if that's the case.

> Mine is that I would rather see CW Contesting stay like it
> is for another ten years and then DIE

Keep riding your horse and buggy but don't cry to the rest
of the world when some 18-wheeler turns you into a grease
spot on the side of the highway.

Many others would rather see CW adapt with changing conditions
and survive for another 50 years.