[CQ-Contest] Dayton PileUp Winner

Gerry Hull gerry at w1ve.com
Mon May 19 09:24:35 EDT 2008

The KCDX Pileup Tape was again a very interesting test and a whole lot of
fun.   Thanks guys!

After watching the SDR and Contest Forums, I'm firmly convinced that SDR, in
some form, will become widely used in contesting.

As far as a training or fun test-of-skills, How about an S&P test rather
than a pileup test?   One of the great arts being lost from contesting is
the ability to scan a band and find stations (Primarily due to packet).

Imagine this:   Each contestant has a laptop with an SDR application
running.   They are all connected to the same receiver, but can tune
independantly.   It should be fairly easy to generate a known set of
stations CW calling, on random frequencies, throughout the
passband.   It could include some pileups, random CQs, etc.   Again, the
idea would be to gather as many possible calls as possible in 5 minutes...
A 5-minute virtual contest.   What a blast that would be.

73, Gerry, W1VE