[CQ-Contest] Contesters supporting LoTW

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Tue May 27 11:05:20 EDT 2008

Colleagues,

I'm happy to see more discussion of Logbook of the World here.
While there may be disagreements about the necessity for the
security model the ARRL has chosen, and more than a few
grumbles about the complexity of the thing, it is still a very
nice product.

For those stations tired of filling out QSL cards, this is a
very worthwhile investment in your time!

I would like to urge all contesters to upload their logs after each
contest to LoTW and to eQSL. Lots of young bloods in the hobby--
including me (though I'm gray-haired in all other respects) -- enjoy
seeing the new country and states rack up in both systems. For
example, I'm short only Hawaii (which I worked 3 times last weekend)
for WAS in LoTW!

The league is unlikely to change anything about the electronic
signature system they've put into place anytime soon. But, while
they might not change things just because people grumble, they
might reconsider some of this if the support burden becomes too
high.

My suggestion is to write/call the league if you are stuck. From my
experience (and from what I've heard from others) the league support
staff has been terrific at being responsive to support pleas. They can
almost certainly get you going again the same day.

If everybody were to do this, just email/call the league when they
were stuck, two things would happen: the LoTW would get lots of
use and make lots of people happy, and the league would have to
assess their support costs for keeping it running this way. If they
determine the support costs are too high with the system the way
it is today, there is an excellent chance that they would reconsider
some of the mechanics of this thing.

Either way, why make it hard on yourself? LoTW is pretty easy
once you get going on it--and the league support staff seems
very willing and able to help you with it.

My 2-cents.

-- Scott (NE1RD)

B. Scott Andersen           | "Magic is real, unless declared integer."
bsandersen -atsign- mac.com | -- The collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Acton, MA (NE1RD)           | http://www.bsandersen.com