[CQ-Contest] Growing New Contesters with LOTW - suddenly it's 1977 again

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Tue May 27 21:56:37 EDT 2008

OK... imagine this:

During a major non-ARRL contest (which one?  Not important), someone pops up
using a call that appears to be from rare DXCC entity Lower ToemahtoeZoup.
The station operates a significant period of time and works a lot of people.

A log is submitted to the contest sponsor, along with a signed statement
promising "Yes, I was really there, and yes, I followed all the contest
rules."  But no other documentation... not that the contest sponsor ever
asked for this, mind you.

Months go by, and no documentation on the Lower ToemahtoeZoup operation is
ever submitted to the ARRL DXCC desk.  And attempts to contact the alleged
operator(s) and/or QSL manager are fruitless, as those induhviduals never
respond, yea or nay, to requests for documentation.  Rumors float around
that they had verbal permission from the ruler, His Royal Mucketey-muckness
Ohyoueightwontoo, or at least someone in his family... and "proof" of this
is that the operators left the country with their logs, equipment, and
dignity intact, that they weren't thrown in jail, whipped, stoned, hanged
until they joined the Knights Who Say 'Nee!', or at least hadn't permanently
lost any appendages of varying importance that they had been, ah, closely
attached to.

So the cards, when they are finally sent out, are declined-for-now by the
DXCC desk "pending documentation."

But -- they did submit that contest log.

Oh, did I mention that there was another rumor that they actually operated a
mile from the border in neighboring Upper AhdratheraveaVeeEight (in which at
least some held some level of citizenship), and since the governments of the
two entities aren't exactly seeing eye to eye -- something about a crocket
match that ended badly in circa 1387, the cause of several major wars and
other unfriendly acts -- that's actually as close as the operators could
get, at least not without risking the aforementioned appendages?

Under this circumstance, or one like it minus the sarcasm and snide side
comments... should the contest log be used as an end-run around the DXCC
rules?  Because if you agree that it shouldn't, then automatic acceptance by
the LotW system -- and by extension the DXCC desk and other awards programs
that currently use LotW or will in the future -- of a submitted contest log,
on it's face value alone, can't and won't work.