[CQ-Contest] Growing New Contesters with LOTW - suddenly it's 1977again

Michael Keane K1MK k1mk at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 27 15:41:19 EDT 2008

At 11:08 AM 5/27/2008, Pete Smith wrote:
>how hard can it be to put that data in a format that LOTW can
>accept, and for LOTW to enter it in its database just like any other
>data transfer from another trusted server?

Well it's never quite that simple....

As LoTW has been set up, no one in Newington or elsewhere can create
or modify N4ZR's QSOs in LoTW other than N4ZR; and each of N4ZR's
QSOs in LoTW can be traced back to N4ZR.

Changing that aspect of LoTW is not a technical matter. It's a
substantial policy shift, somewhat more than a little goodwill.

If LoTW was to accept contacts that would be untraceable beyond the
contest sponsor, there'd be nothing at all to prevent agent
provocateurs from simply pirating callsigns, making some contacts and
then sending in a log.

In contesting we live with wide open, unverified systems like the
robots. And no one has zero'd out the competitions' entries at the
submission deadline... yet. That's a good thing. Even if someone
vandalized a contest like that that, contests are ephemeral; DXCC is
forever. :-)

Having built LoTW, I doubt the ARRL would be willing to open up these
kinds of vulnerability for DXCC.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK