[CQ-Contest] SS Multi-Single Tips

Dick Dievendorff dieven at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 22:48:42 EST 2008

As I read the rules, there is no multi-single category in SS.  It's single
operator, multi, or "school club".

If you have multiple operators, you're "multi".  If you're fortunate enough
to also have multiple transmitters, then there's no need for the second
station to work just mults; your second station can work anyone. You're
obligated to limit yourself to just one transmitted signal at a time.  You
can do this with some sort of electrical interlock, or if you're
sufficiently disciplined you can ask the run station to pause, then the
"other" station makes a QSO, and the run op resumes. All with hand signals.
You have decide beforehand what is worth interrupting the run for.   The
criteria may well change later in the contest, when both stations may be
S&Ping, or one CQing for a while and swapping the CQ.  You'll be popular
enough up there that I suspect that your CQing station will almost always
have customres.  We ran out of people in the last couple of hours of the
contest and our rate tanked.

We used WinTest, which gave us one log and one serial number stream for both
stations.  Sometimes you get an off-by-one serial number that way.  We
believe that the log checkers understand this issue and don't penalize for
an off-by-one serial number.  I think you'll be able to do something similar
with N1MM or WriteLog or CTWin.

I appreciate your effort to get into more logs.  Don't restrict yourself to
just mults, work any new station you find!

And thank you for calling me in SS CW!

Dick, K6KR (part of the W7RN multi team)