[CQ-Contest] Learning Morse

Rick Kiessig kiessig at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 18:02:48 EST 2008

I've decided to learn Morse, mainly with an eye toward contesting.  I tried
and failed many times years ago, using the approach recommended to me at the
time - cassette tapes.  I recently discovered the Koch method, and have been
using the G4FON software, but I have some questions:

-- Since the Koch technique has you learning at full-speed from the
beginning, what's a reasonable speed to aim for?  What's the range that you
might see in a typical contest?
-- I've started at 22 wpm, and find that the speed of my handwriting is
often not fast enough to keep up, and keyboarding is even worse.  The only
way I could imagine going faster is to copy entirely in my head.  How did do
you get past that hurdle?
-- Are there any other approaches to learning that I should consider, or
perhaps better implementations of the Koch technique?

Thanks,
73, Rick ZL2HAM