[CQ-Contest] Learning Morse

Barry w2up3 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 19:41:11 EST 2008

22 WPM is actually a fairly slow speed when it comes to writing CW.  If
you can copy that speed well, writing it should be no problem.  Most
likely, it is your lack of proficiency in CW and the "CPU drain" putting
the 2 tasks together.  Personally, I am experiencing this myself, as I
practice typing CW, but at considerably higher speeds.  It just takes
practice and more practice.

Most contesters operate in the 30-35 WPM range, though you'll find some
slower and some faster.

Look at the excellent web site designed by DJ1YFK: http://www.lcwo.net
There are a number of flexible options to help you learn.

73,
Barry W2UP

Rick Kiessig wrote:
> I've decided to learn Morse, mainly with an eye toward contesting.  I tried
> and failed many times years ago, using the approach recommended to me at the
> time - cassette tapes.  I recently discovered the Koch method, and have been
> using the G4FON software, but I have some questions:
>
> -- Since the Koch technique has you learning at full-speed from the
> beginning, what's a reasonable speed to aim for?  What's the range that you
> might see in a typical contest?
> -- I've started at 22 wpm, and find that the speed of my handwriting is
> often not fast enough to keep up, and keyboarding is even worse.  The only
> way I could imagine going faster is to copy entirely in my head.  How did do
> you get past that hurdle?
> -- Are there any other approaches to learning that I should consider, or
> perhaps better implementations of the Koch technique?
>
> Thanks,
> 73, Rick ZL2HAM

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA