[CQ-Contest] Learning Morse

Sandy Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Sun Nov 9 22:22:16 EST 2008

Hi Rick,
One thing I've noticed about MOST CW training software is it assumes a
quiet, QRM-free environment.

Probably OK for getting started, but in a contesting environment, you'll be
dealing with a lot more than one isolated signal to copy.

I would recommend a double-barrelled approach: practice CW with the G4FON
software. Set the software such that it always challenges you a bit. If you
can copy CW comfortably at 20 wpm, set the software at 25. When you stop
missing characters, set the speed a bit higher until you start missing
characters again.

For the second barrel, I'd recommend getting Morse Runner by VE3NEA. It's
free, it's easily found with a Google search and it's excellent.

Morse Runner really emulates a contest environment well. You get static. You
get a pileup to sort through. You get lids who start calling CQ on your
frequency. You get purists who send "honest" RST reports and you never know
which callsign is coming next. With some CW software, it's possible to
anticipate what's coming next (if you hear "merry" it's not rocket science
to expect "Christmas"...).

This double-barrelled approach, in conjunction with use of G4FON, should
prepare you very well for CW in a contesting environment.

73, Kelly
Ve4xt