[CQ-Contest] [YCCC] ClusterJoin... Mix your Telnet Cluster Spots and CWSkimmer spots into same application.

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Nov 11 06:53:52 EST 2008

At 11:06 PM 11/10/2008, Neal Campbell wrote:
>I might be misunderstanding but as a cluster sysop I do not want
>skimmer spots flooding into the cluster network. I am not sure other
>sysops would want it either.

Perish the thought!  One DL station tried it back in the early days (last
spring) and nearly got ridden out of town on a rail.

The biggest problem is that Skimmer re-spots every single running station
on a given band every 10 minutes, even if they remain on the same
frequency.  If they move, even a tenth of a KHz, they are spotted again
immediately.  On an ordinary night on 40M (not during a contest) I
routinely log 500-600 spots with Skimmer, reflecting only maybe 70-80
stations.  Multiply both numbers by maybe 20 times during CQWW and it would
be pandemonium.

73, Pete N4ZR