[CQ-Contest] ND and VE4 in one QSO

Richard Ferch ve3iay at storm.ca
Fri Nov 14 11:20:13 EST 2008

Thanks for the reminder about the Peace Gardens, Bill. I remember going to
the hamfest there in the late 70s when I was a VE4.

You could easily operate consecutive QSOs from ND and MB, but I don't think
you could do both in the same QSO. Under Canadian regulations, an American
visiting in Canada must identify in the format WB0O/VE4 (RBR4 section 9.2),
but under FCC rules it would be illegal to add a /VE4 either before or after
your call sign while operating from the US (part 97.119(c)). The rules work
similarly in the other direction for Canadians. I think you would have to
pick which call sign you were identifying with according to which
jurisdiction you claimed to be in at the time.

However, I believe you could legally make two contacts in rapid succession,
one as WB0O/VE4 from MB and the other as WB0O from ND, the legal fiction
being that you moved a few inches between QSOs.

Before planning any such activity in a contest, though, you need to look at
the contest rules. These vary between contests. With respect to Sweepstakes,
you need to look at the General Rules for All ARRL Contests section 3.3: "An
operator may not use more than one call sign from any given location during
the contest period." Also, section 3.5: "A transmitter used to contact one
or more stations may not be subsequently used under any other call during
the contest period, except for family stations where more than one call has
been issued, and then only if the second call sign is used by a different
operator."

So it appears that under the SS rules you would have to set up at two
separate locations and use two separate transmitters. Operating from two
sections within a single QSO would appear to be in violation of the ARRL
contest rules.

73,
Rich VE3KI / VE3IAY