[CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

David Levine david at levinecentral.com
Mon Nov 17 20:13:31 EST 2008

Forget the rules - no one is disputing what the rules say. It's plain as the
nose on our faces. I haven't seen one person challenge the rules are not
explicit.

Cabrillo is the accepted format that indicates the exchange. I thought I was
providing an accurate view of the ARRL SS Cabrillo file which needs to be
submitted but if you have one that shows otherwise and it shows the call as
part of the exchange, offer it up.

ARRL SS Example:

                              --------info sent------- -------info
rcvd--------

QSO: freq  mo date       time call       nr   p ck sec call       nr   p ck
sec

QSO: ***** ** yyyy-mm-dd nnnn ********** nnnn a nn aaa ********** nnnn a nn
aaa

QSO: 21042 CW 1997-11-01 2102 N5KO          3 B 74 STX K9ZO          2 A 69
IL

ARRL VHF Example:

                              --------info sent------- -------info
rcvd--------
QSO: freq  mo date       time call              grid   call
grid
QSO: ***** ** yyyy-mm-dd nnnn *************     ****** *************
******
QSO:    50 PH 1997-09-13 1804 NJ2L              FN12fr KB2DMK
FN12

If you look at the 2 examples, the SS Cabrillo data does not have the
callsign as part of the exchange any different then the VHF example does.
The VHF contest does not require the call sign in the exchange.

But I've think I've explained this the best I can and if folks don't look
past the rule, which no one seems to be challenging, and look at the logic
of it and the required file the ARRL wants to have submitted to them, it
seems the 2 don't match.

David - K2DSL