[CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

John Brosnahan -- W0UN shr at swtexas.net
Mon Nov 17 19:23:52 EST 2008

At 17-11-08 16:24, you wrote:
>I think folks are taking the comments too literally. I think the
>requirement/rule that it be part of the exchange is unnecessary.
>We've already, as operator a communicating with operator b, provided
>that piece of information.  The comments you are receiving are
>exactly that it seems redundant in the rules and the rules should be changed.
>
>I never ignored the exchange and provided on each and every QSO I
>made. It's the requirement. It doesn't mean I and others don't think
>it should be reviewed and considered for removal.
>
>And if the N1MM generated cabrillo output is an indication, it isn't
>part of the exchange as I discussed in my reply that you clipped.
>The order doesn't matter, as already discussed, but the call sign,
>as part of the report, is NOT in the cabrillo file. Lets look at the
>spec from
><http://www.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/qso-template.html>http://www.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/qso-template.html
>. below is a snippet. Not sure how it will come out to folks email
>but they can see it on the referenced page.

Cabrillo is not the sponsor of the contest, the ARRL is, so the
Cabrillo output is not an indication.  Here is the ARRL rule on the
exchange and the example.  Look closely at the example, it
illustrates the rule perfectly.  I don't see how it could be any plainer.

If you don't want this in the rules then lobby to change it.  Others
seem perfectly happy to maintain the tradition of the rule and even
find the "extra" call sign to be a benefit.

    * Exchange: The required exchange consists of:
        * 4.1. A consecutive serial number;
        * 4.2. Precedence;
            * 4.2.1. "Q" for Single Op QRP (5 Watts output or less);
            * 4.2.2. "A" for Single Op Low Power (up to 150 W output);
            * 4.2.3. "B" for Single Op High Power (greater than 150 W output);
            * 4.2.4. "U" for Single Op Unlimited;
            * 4.2.5. "M" for Multi-Op;
            * 4.2.6. "S" for School Club;
        * 4.3 Your Callsign;
        * 4.4. Check (the last two digits of the year you were first
licensed);
        * 4.5. ARRL/RAC Section
        * (Example: NU1AW would respond to W1AW's call by sending:
W1AW 123 B NU1AW 71 CT, which indicates QSO number 123, B for Single
Op High Power, NU1AW, first licensed in 1971, and in the Connecticut
section.)