[CQ-Contest] Malicious Interference during SS

Tod -ID tod at k0to.us
Fri Nov 21 01:02:43 EST 2008

I had this happen when operating in the vicinity of 14.275 MHz. The station
who declared he was hearing splatter said his call was KZ8O and he was in
Michigan. I checked with a number of other stations in OH and MI after that
and got assured that there was no problem. Later NX7TT called me to tell me
that this station is famous for making such claims and for recording and
replaying a person's transmissions on the air -- horribly over modulated. He
did that using my signal and operated about 500 Hz off of my frequency. The
splatter was appalling.

In the end I switched to 40 meters rather than have him hassle me and crud
up the band with splatter [supposedly caused by me] and ruin things for
other folks. I hope no one was significantly affected by his efforts. I
assure you it was not me generating that 'bad stuff'.

After the SS had ended I checked his entry in QRZ. There were more than
21,000 hits. Then I did a Google search and found he has been sent warnings
by the FCC that go back to 2000. I suspect there are other stations who
operate in the segment of the band --- the one he patrols -- who can give us
more information.

Tod, K0TO