[CQ-Contest] Shack Air Flow

David Fuller nn5k.mail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:12:15 EST 2008

I have a large skylight that runs from the 8ft ceiling to the pitched roof
through the attic.   I put in a vent up there in the side of the skylight
tube into the attic and ran small flex duct  over near the attic vent which
is about 25 feet from the shack.   There I installed a box enclosed exhaust
fan and wired it with a simple cooler thermostat in the shack.   It comes on
automatically and pulls the hot air out of the room.  This works well
because I barely hear the fan noise in the shack.

For more volume you could use something like a swamp cooler fan box and
exhaust the air outside.  Grainger is a good source for various industrial
fan systems.   That is where I got mine.

They also make cooler updraft vents that vent from the room to the attic
space.   You could put large fan exhaust on the attic space and it would
quietly draw air out of the room though the automatic updraft vents.  The
vents will self close when the fan is off.

-Dave NN5K