[CQ-Contest] 3830

w1md at cfl.rr.com w1md at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 4 10:33:49 EDT 2008

Ah, here it comes...

QSL'ing is 'the final courtesy' of a contact on the air so everyone must (should) QSL...even a contest QSO...which arguably is not a QSO at all but a simple exchange of data (W1MD you are 59 08...yep...that sure was a fun QSO...now where is my 'courtesty' QSL)...

...and now the 'final contest courtesy' will be to post your raw score to 3830.

This whole discussion thread seems fallacious...3830 was, is, and always has been a "braggards" list and place to read peoples contest stories...which is great reading and entertainment...but don't turn 3830 into a required component of contesting...

...and, if it IS just for those guys who are regularly "in the box" then hey, you know who you all are...you can exchange your scores behind the scenes...(Oh...maybe you need to do it in the open as BRAGGING rights???)

I've been contesting since 1980 when I did my first CQWW CW as a QRP entry...came in 14th in the world...had a BOLD listing in CQ...but never got the certificate...bummer. Never new there was an on-air 3830 then...and it was long before www.contesting.com. It was FUN...and surprising to see where you wound up in the listing...

Maybe our software writing compatriots can implement "auto" 3830 posting along with "auto QSL'ing" so we can satisfy all of the courtesy's that we're supposed to when the contest is over and I want to go to bed.  I'll sleep better knowing my unofficial score is posted to 3830 for all to see and marvel at...

Come on folks. Better yet...Come on SUN. We need to get people back on the airwaves and OFF of the internet...

/sarcasm off... :)

W1MD