[CQ-Contest] Writelog vs. N1MM

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Thu Sep 4 12:43:59 EDT 2008

You'll probably get more answers if you ask this question on the Writelog
reflector.

I was using Writelog before N1MM came out. The main reason I stuck with
Writelog is that it works very well for everything I do and I'm comfortable
with it. Changing log programs presents a learning curve that hasn't been
necessary in my case. N1MM is a very robust program with a lot of features,
so the learning curve is pretty steep to get to the same level of expertise
I have with Writelog.

Further, I'm not sure that N1MM handles automated SO2R TX and audio
switching quite the same way as Writlog. K5ZD and I worked with W5XD for
quite a while on Writelog's SO2R algorithms, and there are very specific
behaviors on which I've come to depend. But I haven't checked to see whether
N1MM can do the same thing. By way of full disclosure, I'm a Writelog beta
tester.

Another reason I stuck with Writelog is the W5XD+ keyer. I was a prototype
tester (still have the prototype) and have two of the production models (one
for backup). I like the keyer a lot, not just for keying but for SO2R
switching. That said, the keyer is no longer made (often of used ones come
up for sale), and in most cases it won't work with a USB COM port. I haven't
done any research into what keyers and switchers are supported by N1MM, but
assume it's more than Writelog (which only supports a separate WinKey keyer
and none of the other SO2R boxes.)

I tried using N1MM at a multi back in 2003 and I didn't like it. The
interface was very unfamiliar and the software wasn't stable. But the
program has come a long way since then. I've got N1MM installed on my
computer because a program I wrote for Windows-based antenna switching and
tuning (AntennaMaster) gets the rig frequencies from the contest logger, and
it supports Writelog, N1MM and Win-Test. I'm impressed with the sheer number
of features N1MM has now. Also, when I ran into some issues getting the
frequency from N1MM, N1MM and PA1T helped me. My recollection is vague, but
I'm pretty sure I ran into a problem and N1MM fixed it right away. Due to
the difference in development philosophy, open source vs one
person/proprietary, fixes and new features tend to get implemented in N1MM
much faster than Writelog. It's possible that future technical changes will
force me to move to N1MM if Writelog doesn't keep up, but so far that hasn't
happened.

73, Dick WC1M