[CQ-Contest] ARRL Sweepstakes and paper logs

Ken Adams k5ka at assoctech.com
Fri Sep 5 18:06:34 EDT 2008

The 75th ARRL November Sweepstakes will soon be here.  You will want to
make an extra effort to participate this year as we plan to offer a
special one time achievement award.  More details will follow in the
official HQ announcement coming in October.

One of our long term goals for SS is to eventually receive 100% of logs
in electronic Cabrillo format.  This will take some time, but will allow
us to reduce the turn around time to produce results and to continually
improve the log checking process.  For 2007 we received 200+ paper
logs.  With the help of volunteers we converted all those logs to
Cabrillo format and for the first time were able to perform the
computerized adjudication process for 100% of logs submitted.  This
effort from the volunteers took over 400 man hours ... non trivial.  In
hopes of reducing this effort for 2008 I'm asking that everyone who logs
on paper or knows someone who logs on paper help us.
If you are reading this and you submitted a paper log last year, here
are some free resources you can use to get your log into Cabrillo format
and then submit it to the robot.

Free logging programs:
   http://www.k1ea.com/        CT for DOS or CTWIN for Windows
   http://www.n1mm.com/      N1MM for Windows

Free software to enter your paper log directly into Cabrillo format and
submit to the robot:
   http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/arrlsscw_cab.php

For those folks who do not have computers or access to the internet I'm
asking that all Clubs help their members convert their paper logs to
Cabrillo format then submit them to the robot.  This could be a good
activity at a special after SS celebration meeting.
And, lastly, if you know someone using paper logs who is just a friend
and not affliated with a club, please offer to help them convert their
log and get logging software on a PC if they have one.  In some cases
this may involve training, etc. but it is a great excuse to do some ham
related stuff together.

Thanks in advance for all your help and if you have any other
suggestions please email me directly. Good luck in the upcoming 75th
November Sweepstakes !!!

73,  Ken  K5KA
Sweepstakes Contest Manager