[CQ-Contest] Best & worst scenarios - 3830 postings

Mike Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Sun Sep 7 21:42:59 EDT 2008

Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

  -----Original Message-----
> [...]

Let us not forget that mobile operations are disqualified.

> How could I possibly participate in a real time scoring system?

Well, you could buy into satellite network access I suppose. I suppose
the mobile station could come up with something also.

But there is one huge problem. I don't know about others, but I'm in
this for the radio, not for some hotshot expensive remote internet
access scheme. If I had to have real time net access, I suppose I'd just
do something more radio oriented that weekend.

> Would you disqualify my log because the computer tells you that my home
> address has Internet, regardless of where I operated from?
>
> Would I have to apply for an "exemption?"  And what if someone with a stick
> up his, er, ah, someone who's just plain doesn't care decides not to grant
> it to me?

What happens when during the middle of the contest, someone runs their
car into a telephone pole, eliminating your internet access?

> Sorry.  We're just not ready for Universal "Real Time" Scoring yet.  IMHO,
> YMMV.

Ron, just as a example, imagine the reaction if I implemented a rule
that would make remote operations, mobiles, county line stations, and
rovers not eligible. I'd be lucky to come out of that one with my health
intact! 8^)

If I were to ask for contesters to do one thing, it would be to vet
their suggestions according to a formula.

Is my suggested change going to give me a competitive advantage over
other Ops?

Is my suggested change going to disqualify other operators?

Is my suggested change practical?

Too many proposed changes solve one problem, and create a few more.

	- 73 de Mike N3LI -