[CQ-Contest] Hurricane Ike and the September VHF Contest

Andrew ac6wi at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 14:31:23 EDT 2008

Richard DiDonna NN3W wrote:
> I have to agree with Dave.  There will be some very serious stuff going on
> down in the Gulf starting tonight and tomorrow, with a high possibility of
> loss of life, damage in the hundreds of millions of dollars (especially if
> Houston take it on the nose), and lots of traditional communications routes
> that will be down.
>
> As far as I am concerned, it is imperative that operators in the contest be
> cognizant of the emergency ops taking place above 14.300, and should,
> frankly consider avoiding that swath of 20 meters this weekend.

There shouldn't be a problem _if_ everyone abides by the rules of the
WAE contest which state

"Bands
3.5 - 7 - 14 - 21 - 28 MHz.
According to IARU Region I regulations, operation is not allowed in the
following contest-free windows:
CW : 3560-3800; 14060-14350 kHz
SSB: 3650-3700; 14100-14125; 14300-14350 kHz."

Above 14.300 should be contest free for emergency nets to perform their
needed duties if people follow the rules!

Vy 73,

Andrew AC6WI (GI0NWG)