[CQ-Contest] KH6 is a Mult but not a Mult

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 21:58:11 EDT 2008

As someone who was in charge of writing the NAQP rules in 1985 and can
speak with some knowledge on this, let me put this consumption of
bandswidth to rest.

"Question: If the NA QSO Party counts KH6 as a mult, how come the NA
Sprint doesn't count KH6 as a mult? Both should either count it, or
neither should."

I was not around when the Sprint rules were formulated, but my
understanding was that those involved reasoned that since KH6 was not
North America, that it should not count.

When we were working on the NAQP rules, we rejected that logic.  We
wanted NAQP to be easy to operate, and we figured the casual ham would
not grasp the distinction of why 49 states counted as mults but the 50th
didn't.

The fact that the two contests do not count multipliers the same is irrelevent.  Back in 1985, VE mults in the Sprint were Canadian call areas, not provinces.  We rejected that concept as well.

The Sprint and NAQP were created by and have been administered by separate teams since the beginning so there is no reason the rules have to be the same any more that the QSO points rules in CQWW and CQ WPX have to be the same.  The contest sponsors' opinion trumps all...

Dave/K8CC