[CQ-Contest] 1 KILO vs. 1000

Randy Thompson K5ZD k5zd at charter.net
Sun Sep 21 15:25:01 EDT 2008

Remember, it is a computer doing the log checking.  Good chance that the
programmer never thought of 1KILO as being one possible input.  Especially
for a field that is supposed to contain a number...

I believe that other abbreviations for killowatt (like K, KW, or 1K) may be
allowed (they weren't bonked in my log check report), so I suspect you just
got caught using a "non-standard" entry.

Yes, it would be really great if ARRL put out some kind of statement about
what they wanted in the power category.  Especially for all the different
ways people say killowatt, but also for what to do with cut numbers and
powers that are less than 1 watt.

A better place to go with your question would be the ARRL Contest desk
rather than the contest reflector (although I am sure the refelector will
generate lots more discussion over what the definition of KILO really is!).

Randy, K5ZD