[CQ-Contest] Self spotting rationale

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Sat Aug 1 21:06:56 PDT 2009

"KØRC says:

'But there's a strong market for both manual and player pianos. Why would anyone buying a manual piano want to "judge" how the player piano should operate? Isn't that why there is both assisted and unassisted contest categories in the first place?' "

Bob,

No problem with people who want to use player pianos -- or even BC radios or phonographs or i-Pods (I'm even thinking of getting one, soon as my kids show me how to buy my kind of music for it).  But let's watch out for the guys who keep pushing to allow packet for the Single Op category.

And if I were a REAL curmudgeon I'd be insisting that we all use straight keys and log every CQ.

(As I was writing that I began to wonder how we justified unlogged CQs during contests back when FCC required full logging.  What did W4KFC and W9IOP do in SS?  the I realized that W4KFC and W9IOP probably didn't have many unanswered CQs in SS back then.)

73, Art K3KU