[CQ-Contest] Station Inspections

James Cain jamesdavidcain at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:07:14 PDT 2009

In my book, "YASME: The Danny Weil and Colvin Radio Expeditions" (ARRL, 2003), Chapter 16, page 77, is entitled "The FCC Comes to Visit W6KG." I drew from documents and correspondence to describe a visit by the FCC to Lloyd and Iris Colvin's California station during the 1958 ARRL International DX Competition, CW.

I also drew from a very funny story about the incident that Lloyd published in QST for May, 1958, page 66, a story that included two cartoons by the legendary Gil Gildersleeve, W1JCD. I reprinted one of those cartoons in my book (the original was in the Colvins' archives).

You can read the QST article on line, or buy my book from the arrl.

A story like Lloyd's would never get published in QST today.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation