[CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?

RT Clay rt_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 24 08:35:40 PDT 2009

The fewer number of younger hams in the USA is not due to lack of club stations to operate from, at least for college-aged hams. Since 1989 I have studied/worked at a series of universities with club stations. Some have pretty nice HF antennas. In each case, the number of student hams actually using the club stations was tiny (1 or 2 if any), they mostly sat empty. Take a look at the number of "S" entries in the ARRL Sweepstakes for example.

For younger hams in the USA (before college), there aren't typically any available club stations. Most local US ham clubs are based around no-code/VHF repeaters. Contest clubs in the US are organized on larger scales (ARRL/CQ "circles"), usually don't do much on a local level, and don't have club stations.

Tor
N4OGW/5