[CQ-Contest] Contest history

James Cain jamesdavidcain at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 15:38:21 PDT 2009

KR2Q wrote:

"Right!  This is almost word for word what my article in CQ Magazine (early
1980's) advised to do!  The title was something like: "How To Operate an
Efficient M/S."  That's about 30 years ago now.  Maybe someone here can find
the exact title and publication date."

One thing to be said for the american radio relay league is that qst back
issues are available on line to arrl members. CQ doing the same would be of
great benefit to historians but of no business value to the publisher that I
can think of.

Some brave volunteer with all the back issues of CQ, a good scanner, and
some spare time, could scan contest-related articles from CQ and donate them
to the Contest Wiki. I am sure said volunteer could borrow a complete set of
the magazines from someone/somewhere if needed.

Too bad the arrl does not make National Contest Journal back issues
available on line. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Newington staff
time is an issue, along with a perceived lack of demand for NCJ back issues.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation