[CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

Doug Smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 18:25:00 PST 2009

Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Maidenhead subsquares would seem to fill this role nicely.  Here at mid
> lattitudes (I'm near 40 deg North) my locator of EM19qu defines an area
> of about 3 miles lattitude and 4.5 miles longitude (4.83 km x 7.24 km).

Problem is, nobody knows what their six-character square is.

Heck, I'd bet a pretty large proportion of the casual participants don't even know their *four*-character square.

Most people know their CQ Zone; most of those who don't know can figure it out by listening to other stations in their area; worst case, they ask you
for help and it takes a few seconds to get the answer.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66