[CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

David Kopacz david.kopacz at aspwebhosting.com
Sun Dec 13 18:40:27 PST 2009

Educate the masses...

http://www.arrl.org/locate/grid.html

David ~ KY1V

-----Original Message-----
From: cq-contest-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:cq-contest-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Doug Smith
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:25 PM
To: cq-contest at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Maidenhead subsquares would seem to fill this role nicely.  Here at
mid
> lattitudes (I'm near 40 deg North) my locator of EM19qu defines an
area
> of about 3 miles lattitude and 4.5 miles longitude (4.83 km x 7.24
km).

Problem is, nobody knows what their six-character square is.

Heck, I'd bet a pretty large proportion of the casual participants don't
even know their *four*-character square.

Most people know their CQ Zone; most of those who don't know can figure
it out by listening to other stations in their area; worst case, they
ask you
for help and it takes a few seconds to get the answer.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66