[CQ-Contest] And now for something completely different......

Jim George n3bb at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 4 10:31:16 EST 2009

Great subject. Malcolm Gladwell's newest best seller is called "Outliers,"
and it deals with the people who have become the greatest successes in
various endeavors. It includes the Beatles, Bill Joy, Bill Gates, Michael
Jordan and many others. The main factors are "being (born) in the right
place and right time, having access to technology and developments to be in
the "wave" of the success pattern, and also the "Ten Thousand Hour Rule."
This, in short, is incredible practice to develop and hone one's skills.

Contesting is no different. We hear over and over that "get in there and
work the contests if you want to be good." That is absolutely correct.
Let's examine the ten thousand hour rule for a moment. Let's assume that a
serious contester takes part in contests ranging from four (Sprint) to ten
(NAQP) to twenty four (IARU, RDXC) to thirty or thirty six (SS, WPX) to
forty eight (ARRL, CQWW DX) and averages for all of these, (bit of a  SWAG
here) twenty five hours for an average contest. Let's also assume Mr. or
Ms. Serious Contester gets in fifteen of these contests seriously a year.
That's 15 times 25 or 375 hours a year. Throw in another fifteen contests
that are done casually, with, say 10 hours activity. Now we are at around
500 hours a year contesting. At that rate, it would take 20 years to get in
the 10,000 hours. I would venture that most of the consistently top
contesters have achieved the 10K hours over a contesting "career." There
are some who master it sooner, but it underscores the fact that a top notch
achiever, whether it's playing basketball, baseball, tennis, cello, guitar,
jelling as a band, programming UNIX, writing well, or reading a prospectus
for stocks prior to wise investing (see Warren Buffet), it's a commitment
to excellence that's formed by uniquely serious study and commitment.
Contesting is no different.

I know as a personal example, I always have loved the Sprint. But it's only
four hours long and is held only twice a year. At the end of each four hour
whirlwind contest, I would sit back and realize that I was starting to feel
comfortable only when it was winding down. Then the NCCC started running
the weekly NCCC Sprint on Thursday evenings. Voila, I started doing that
and finally the "Sprint Moves," which come so fast and allow little room
for error, became second nature. The contest suddenly "slowed down" for me.
It's a practical example of how practicing helped.

There is little doubt for me that practice is the single largest component
of success in contesting.

Jim George, N3BB

snip