[CQ-Contest] 3X6A

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 22:04:39 PST 2009

The postings from AD1C, W8FJ, and W9ZS prompt me to tell two related stories.

First, in ARRL DX CW this past Sunday morning I was filling in at W3LPL on 40M.  Calling CQ toward JA/Pacific some time well after sunrise (maybe 12Z) I was answered by a very loud, solid "YO7ARY" (or maybe he said YO6).  I did not hear any other Europeans, nor did I see spots or hear other East Coast stations work any Europeans then.  I left him in the log, and informed Frank.

The second story I have recounted here before, but I love it.  Long time ago -- maybe forty years, and before prefixes went wild, and before there were Contest DXpeditions, and when you KNEW every rare mult -- I saw a Soapbox for a DX Test (probably ARRL):  "I left 4Q2OM in the log because it was the right time, the beam heading was right, the signal sounded right, and I needed the Sri Lanka multiplier."

73, Art K3KU