[CQ-Contest] Rotators

Rick Kiessig kiessig at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 01:42:20 PST 2009

I'm looking for a rotator for a custom 10m-high tower that I'm having built.
The antenna will be a small OptiBeam for 40m - appx 45 to 60 kg and 13 to 21
sq ft (I live on a ridge about 300m from the ocean at 100m altitude, so I'm
hopeful a 10m high tower will work out - but that's another story).

I'm considering the Prosistel PST61D, Orion 2800PX and a small prop pitch,
rebuilt by K7NV.  The environment here is relatively mild most of the time,
with a few good-sized storms that blow through every year.  Peak winds are
roughly in the 70 mph range, although it's rare that they get anywhere near
that.

The prices vary quite a bit from one to the next.  Reliability is important
for me, so I'm leaning toward the prop pitch.  However, I'm having a little
trouble justifying triple the price of the Orion.

I would be interested in hearing about experiences with these rotators or
suggestions along these lines.

Thanks!

73, Rick ZL2HAM